for the cake batter
135g unsalted butter, softened
135g golden caster sugar
1 lemon, zest and juice
100g plain flour
35g self-raising flour
10g poppy seeds
for the syrup
juice of 1 lemon
50g golden caster sugar
for the drizzle
1 tsp lemon juice
40g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 21x11cm loaf tin.
- Start by making the cake batter.
- Sift the two flours into a large bowl and add the poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs mixing all the time and add a tablespoon of the flour to prevent the mixture from curdling if needed.
- Now gently fold in the flour and poppy seeds.
- Finally fold in the lemon juice and stir until evenly combined.
- Spoon into the lined loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup by placing the lemon juice, sugar and water in a small saucepan over a medium heat and boiling until reduced by half.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and immediately prick holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer.
- Pour the lemon syrup al over the top of the cake ensuring that it seeps down the holes.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin placed on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, prepare the lemon drizzle by sifting the icing sugar into a small bowl and pouring over the lemon juice.
- Mix the sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- If needed, add more lemon juice a drop at a time until you achieve desired drizzling consistency.
- Remove the cake from the tin and paper and get drizzling!
- Leave the cake for at least 15 minutes before serving so that the drizzle has time to set.