140g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, softened
125g light brown soft sugar
1 large egg
55g dark chocolate, melted (I use 50% min. cocoa solids)
½ tsp vanilla
grated zest of one orange
for the icing
250g icing sugar, sifted
zest of one orange
few drops of milk
- Preheat the oven to Fan 160°C and line a muffin tray with 12 large cupcake cases.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add the egg and beat until evenly incorporated.
- Now pour in the melted chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and stir through.
- Slowly pour in half of the milk and vanilla extract whilst mixing slowly.
- Repeat until all ingredients are incorporated and the mix is smooth.
- Finally stir through the grated orange zest.
- Spoon the mix into the prepared cases and place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- To make the icing, cream together the butter, icing sugar and orange zest until pale and fluffy. Add a few drops of milk and beat until you have a good piping consistency.
- Leave the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack before icing and topping with a segment of Terry’s Chocolate Orange.