2 tblsp olive oil
1 medium red onion
2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
125g baby plum tomatoes
35g red lentils
35g yellow split peas
35g green lentils
1 tblsp tomato puree
1 tblsp paprika
chilli flakes (to taste)
50 ml red wine
450ml chicken stock
handful of fresh parsley, chopped roughly
- Over a low heat, fry the onion in half the olive oil for approximately 10 minutes until soft, adding the garlic in the last 2 minutes.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and put in a bowl to one side.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and turn the heat up to high.
- Add the sausages and cook for 5-8 minutes, turning regularly until medium brown in colour.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic, paprika, chilli flakes and stir thoroughly.
- Now add the red wine followed by the lentils and peas and chicken stock.
- Season, bring to the boil before turning down to a simmer and putting the lid on.
- Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes with the lid on, and 15 further minutes without the lid until the lentils and peas are tender and the majority of the liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon into deep plates, scatter with parsley and serve with warm crusty bread.