This recipe is inspired by a Fiona Cairns’ recipe I made a while back for Pistachio and Orange Blossom Cake. I have adapted the orange mascarpone icing and syrup from that recipe and added a simple sponge flavoured with orange zest. The result is a moist sponge with a citrusy kick complimented by a lightly sweetened and fragrant mascarpone topping. Delicious? I think so!
- Preheat the oven to Fan 160°C and line a large muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Start by making the cake batter: Cream together the butter, sugar and orange zest until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, mixing all the time. Add a tablespoon of flour halfway through to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Once all the egg is incorporated, gently fold in the flour.
- Finally fold through the orange juice.
- Spoon into the cases, filling them two thirds full and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by bringing the orange juice, sugar and orange blossom water to the boil in a small pan and reducing slightly until it has thickened. This will only taking a few minutes.
- Once the cakes are lightly golden remove them from the oven. Prick 3 holes in the top of each cake and spoon a small amount of syrup over the holes.
- Leave to cool completely in the cases on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make the icing by beating together the mascarpone, zest, vanilla, orange blossom and sugar until evenly blended.
- Spread on top of the cooled cupcakes and decorate to taste!
Testing out my new cupcake stand Christmas present!