90g golden caster sugar
90g unsalted butter, softened and diced
2 medium eggs
90g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
30g ground almonds
60g glacé cherries, ripped into pieces
1 tblsp amaretto
for the icing
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp milk
4 tsp amaretto
optional garnish of crushed amaretti biscuits and glacé cherries.
- Preheat the oven to Fan 160°C and line a muffin tray with 6-8 large cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, diced butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth and even but don’t overmix.
- Fold in the ground almonds, amaretto and cherries.
- Spoon into the cupcake cases filling about two thirds of each case and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once they are well risen, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, cream all the ingredients together until pale and fluffy before piping onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with crushed amaretti biscuits and half a glacé cherry.