I made this gardening themed cake last week for the lovely Ashley over at Peach Trees for her Cornish grandparents’ Golden Wedding Anniversary.
The cake was a chocolate sponge with vanilla buttercream and formed part of a magnificent tea party spread. Take a look at all of Ashley’s hard work here and stay tuned to peachtreesandbumblebees.com for lots of the recipes for all the yummy baked goodies!
Finally, many congratulations to Vernon and Diana on fifty fabulous years of marriage!
The arrival of sunshine and showers suggests that the weather has finally got the memo that it is actually April. These are my little rays of light amongst the sudden dark downpours… Lemon meringue cupcakes.
175g unsalted butter, softened, diced
175g golden caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of one lemon
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
for the lemon curd buttercream
150g unsalted butter, softened
250g icing sugar, sifted
lemon curd, to taste (around 2-3 tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to Fan 170°C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the diced butter, caster sugar and lemon zest.
- Mix on a slow speed until the ingredients begin to combine, then gradually add the beaten eggs.
- Once just incorporated, turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Finally turn the mixer back onto a medium to high speed for 5 seconds to get rid of any lumps. You should now have a smooth batter. If not, give the mixer another quick burst.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cases. They should be no more than half full.
- Place in the oven for 17-20 minutes until the cupcakes are well risen, lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make the buttercream.
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar for at least five minutes on a medium speed until pale and fluffy, scraping the sides down once or twice.
- Add the lemon curd a tablespoon at a time and continue to mix until desired lemonyness is achieved!
- Pipe or spread onto the cooled cupcakes and top with shards of meringue.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Easy peasy lemon squeazy!